Tuesday 2 October 2018

finding a new artist to love

This time last month I was in the beautiful city of Bordeaux and I discovered the work of Henri-Jean Martin  (5 August 1860 – 12 November 1943), according to wikiart he is an Impressionist Artist.  I just though these were fantastic, I can can see the Impressionist influence, but I also think there is a nod toward Pointillism which was happening at a similar time.
In the same room were some of his painting featuring figures and I must say was not so keen on those, they felt a little kitsch, a bit twee, the landscapes and flowers were alot more powerful and felt contemporary.  The ultimate compliment of 'I would love to have that hanging on my wall' was whispered under my breath a few times (out of ear shot of the guards!).
 



I do hope you like his work too, sorry the photos aren't great, always feel guilty taking snaps in a gallery even if it is allowed.  I find it very exciting to discover artists I have never heard of, and I definitely want to learn more about Henri-Jean.

No comments:

Post a Comment