Friday 12 October 2018

A towering library in my life

The Guille Alles Library has always been a big part of my Guernsey life. 
My mother was one of the group of ladies who launched 'Bookwormobile' a mobile children's library which later (poss 1981?) was absorbed into the Guille-Alle. Then later after she passed away, a video library was opened in her memory, and I remember standing in the Hayward Room for the opening, wearing a very large silver lamee scarf!  Well I was young.....

But I didnt really understand its history to well,
 and when the chance came up to join a 'behind the scenes' tour, I jumped at the chance. 
 We were led round the building by this fantastic gentleman, 
think he was called Mr Pitt, one of the early library directors from the 1880s.  
But the main reason I want to do this was to get up into the tower! 
 It's designed as a widow's walk
we couldn't get out side but the views from the porthole window was fantastic.
A very different view out over the roof tops of St Peter Port
and the roof top of Specsavers, some one has a brilliant terrace, but they really need to tidy it up!
Herm and Jethou behind the church
The copper tobacco leaves on top of the old Market Building 
The market, then the church and then the castle
This brilliant room is now 'The story tower' for children's story time, 
I am very very jealous of those lucky children!

No comments:

Post a Comment