Tuesday 20 September 2016

Roald Dahl memories

Last week photos were popping up all over my face book of my teacher friends and children in fantastic fancy dress for Roald Dahl day, celebrating what would have been his hundredth birthday.

I loved his books as a child, BFG was amazing and The Twits has induced a life long hatred of facial hair on men (but also a brilliant book)!

But it brought back a memory that I hadn't thought about for a long time.
When I was a little girl my Mum was very active in setting up the Children's Library in Guernsey, and there used to be Book Gatherings every year, where the kids would have fancy dress competitions and children's authors would come over and do reading, it was brilliant, I loved it.  I still remember my friends Hayley and Douglas dresses as the most amazing octopus with huge papier mache heads and crepe paper tentacles!  Funny what you remember isnt it?
Any how I believe these were organized through the Puffin Book Club 
Every year the Puffin Book Club also organized a massive one of these every summer in London and one year Mum and I went.  And the headliner that year was Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake, totally my heros, so I patiently stood in line for their autograph.
And I still have that treasured memento hanging on my wall.

1 comment:

  1. My children loved Roald Dahl as well. His books are so magical. I was blessed to have a mother who took us to the library once a week. I loved choosing my own books to read, especially biographies of historical characters. Amazingly I still enjoy those types of books.

    ReplyDelete