Saturday 9 April 2016

Bailiwick buttons

This winter I wanted to replace the buttons on my new coat,
but these were going to be special buttons, they were going to be Bailiwick buttons!
 
First I should probably explain what a Bailiwick is. 
In the Chanel Islands it is an area governed by a Bailiff,
you have the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Bailiwick of Jersey and
in the last 800 years the two have never over lapped. The Bailiwick of Guernsey consists of
Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Lihou, Burhou, Jethou and Brecqhou. Simple!
 
First I thought I was commission some cut out of metal, but understandably because of the complexity of our coast line, this turned out to be a very expensive option.
 So I resorted to what I know best.
Embroidery

One button for each of the main four islands, stitched in green on a silk linen mix.


Self cover buttons were definitely the way to go, but because of the amount of detail I wanted to include, I went for the largest button available with a 4cm diameter.
I drew the outline of each island free hand in biro,
you can see the edge markings on the picture below 

Then when they were all stretched, I washed them with Vanish which removed all trace of the biro and had the other good side effect of tightening the fabric over the button.

There were problems ahead, but am really pleased which the finished button, part 2 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment